Sensitive Accounts

Assistance with financial information during a difficult time.

  • Helping you with compassion
  • Important resources

We’re here to help when a loved one has passed

It can be difficult to navigate a loved one’s financial accounts after they pass, but at 7 17 Credit Union, you’re not alone. To get started, we recommend you visit a 7 17 branch. We also recommend you contact your legal advisor for assistance as needed.

During this difficult time, we’re here to help you settle your loved one’s financial accounts, so your top priority can be taking care of yourself and your family.

Members and nonmembers alike can expect compassion; knowledge; respect and guidance throughout the difficult experience of closing out a loved one’s financial accounts.

You’ll need some documentation to get started. Consult the list below for reference and connect with our sensitive accounts coordinator for further information.

  • Proof of death
    Original or certified copies of the death certificate are the most commonly accepted forms of documentation.
  • Account information
    Available documentation detailing any accounts held with the credit union.
    Examples include: past statements or letters
  • Documentation regarding authority over your loved one's financial affairs
    Documents that show who has authority to act on behalf of your loved one's affairs, estate or trust.

For example, documentation we may need:

Probate documentation we may need:

  • Small estate affidavit
  • Letters of testamentary
  • Letters of administration

Additional documentation:

  • Trust documents/trust summary
  • Additional documentation for home mortgage or loan accounts

You may also need:

  • Valid ID (one of the following)
    • State driver's license
    • State identification card
    • U.S. passport
    • Military identification
    • U.S. alien registration card

You may be asked to contact the following organizations. Consult with your legal professional and/or your 7 17 sensitive accounts coordinator to determine the right course of action.

  • Social Security Administration
  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 
  • A trust or estate attorney - to understand any trustee duties or executor responsibilities you may have
  • Deceased's employer
  • Post office - to stop or forward mail
  • Qualified tax accountant
  • Other creditors/financial institutions where the deceased may have held accounts
  • Financial advisors

A beneficiary may request to have a check mailed for entitled funds by a mailing a letter to the following:

Attn: Sensitive Accounts
7 17 Credit Union
3181 Larchmont Ave., NE
Warren, OH 44483-9968

This letter should include a current address and a notarized signature. Please also include a copy of a current ID and a certified copy of the death certificate if one is not already on file.

In addition to contacting 7 17 Credit Union about an account holder’s death, we’ve compiled a list of agencies you may also need to contact.