Helping Members build their financial strength since 1957
7 17 Credit Union is a progressive financial institution in Ohio offering credit union membership to those who live or work in Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana, Portage, Summit and central Stark counties. With twelve branches, 7 17 provides banking services to more than 78,000 Members in the greater Youngstown, Warren, Kent, Ravenna and Canton areas. We are a local, community-minded credit union democratically controlled by its Members. While banks are often bought out by other banks and change names, 7 17 Credit Union continues to grow deep roots in the communities it serves.
It is unlikely this degree of growth could be fathomed when 7 17 was founded as a financial cooperative in 1957. At that time, 7 17’s humble yet promising purpose was to provide Packard Electric's hourly employees with an opportunity to promote thrift and borrow money at reasonable rates. Intent on supporting community development, the growth that ultimately occurred was based on the credit union philosophy of "people helping people."
Over the years, 7 17’s technology has advanced, new delivery channels have developed, and the breadth of financial products and services has widened. Yet, the focus of employees and leadership within this financial institution is the same today as it was in 1957: to proactively and innovatively meet the financial needs of its Members in a manner that exceeds their expectations.
To ensure long-term survival of the financial cooperative, 7 17's leadership has made some key decisions through the years, such as expanding membership to the salaried employees of Packard, then to the employees of other businesses, and ultimately to the wider communities we serve. This means anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana, Portage, Summit or central Stark Counties can now open accounts with 7 17 Credit Union.
This diversification has provided the growth and economies of scale necessary to offer a diverse menu of loan and deposit products, such as home loans, new and used car loans, business loans, commercial loans, free checking accounts and business checking accounts among others. In addition, new and enhanced services such as telephone banking, online banking and mobile banking provide the convenience that our members seek. Due to these changes, 7 17 has not only survived, but thrived.
After more than 50 years of working with our Members to achieve their financial goals, 7 17 Credit Union is well positioned to serve current and future generations for decades to come. Whether you have been a Member for five decades or five days, thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.
7 17 Credit Union:
- Is member-owned with 78,000+ members; we have no shareholders.
- Is a not-for-profit financial institution celebrating over 50 years of member service.
- Has 12 branches in Warren, Cortland, Vienna, Howland, Hubbard, Austintown, Boardman, North Jackson, Kent, Ravenna and Canton.
- Offers membership to those who live or work in Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana, Portage, Summit and central Stark counties.
- Offers Shared Branching, which allows our members to use 5,000+ branches of other participating credit unions around the country.
- Is safe and sound. 7 17 is very well-capitalized and our annualized deposits continue to grow, indicating member confidence and attractive rates.
- Federally insures member deposits with the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
- 1957 - Fifteen hourly employees at the Packard Electric Division of General Motors formed 7 17 Credit Union with $75.00 in a cigar box locked in a desk drawer of the IUE Local 717 union hall.
- 1966 - A new building was erected at the Larchmont Office site.
- 1969 - 7 17's assets passed the $5 million mark.
- 1971 - The National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund was established to federally insure credit union deposit accounts. The Larchmont Office expanded.
- 1978 - 7 17 became the first financial institution in the area to offer ATM services; the first credit union in the state to offer checking accounts; and one of the first credit unions to offer Visa® credit cards.
- 1979 - The Vienna Office opened.
- 1980 - 7 17 installed its own in-house computer system.
- 1985 - EZ Line telephone access and Commercial Loans were introduced. The Larchmont Office expanded.
- 1986 - 7 17 merged with USAF Base Credit Union resulting in the Airbase Office. Visa® Check Cards were first offered.
- 1987 - The Ravenna Office opened, and the TeleServices department was created.
- 1988 - The Ravenna Office moved to Kent. The Boardman Office opened on Market Street, becoming the first 7 17 branch in the Youngstown, OH area. 7 17 was the first credit union in the region to offer loans by phone.
- 1992 - The Canton Office opened.
- 1993 - The 4-lane drive-thru opened at the Larchmont Office.
- 1994 - EZ App telephone loan applications were offered. The Boardman Office moved to California Avenue.
- 1995 - The drive-thru was expanded at the Vienna Office.
- 1996 - The Howland Office drive-thru opened, and 7 17's first website was launched.
- 1997 - The ATM/Visa® Check Card was introduced. The Howland Financial Center opened in the Market Place plaza, and ATMs were installed at the Boardman and Kent Offices. EZ Line telephone access was enhanced and became CALL24.
- 1998 - Tiered Money Market Accounts were first offered.
- 1999 - NetWorth24 Online Banking and Bill Pay was introduced.
- 2000 - The Austintown Office and the Corporate Operations Center opened. 7 17 merged with Eastern Trumbull Credit Union, resulting in the Hubbard Office.
- 2002 - 7 17 received a community group charter for Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana Counties allowing anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in those counties to open accounts at 7 17. The Credit Union began helping educate high school students with the National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE) program, and STAR Member Rewards™ was introduced.
- 2003 - The Dollar Dog Kids Club™ was created. 7 17’s assets exceed $500 million.
- 2004 - 7 17 received a community group charter for Portage and Central Stark Counties. New Hubbard and Kent Offices were built and relocated. ATMs were installed in Niles and Columbiana. The cha-ching Teen Club™ was introduced.
- 2005 - 7 17 began offering the BALANCE Financial Fitness Program. The Cortland Office opened, and an ATM at the Hot Dog Shoppe in Warren was installed.
- 2007 - 7 17 celebrated its 50th Anniversary!
- 2008 - eLert email account notifications were introduced. 7 17 launches the edge young adult account.
- 2009 - Online account opening becomes available allowing Members to join or open and fund new deposit accounts 24 hours a day from the comfort of their homes. 7 17’s assets exceed $750 million.
- 2010 - Smart Deposit technology allows envelope-free ATM deposits with on-screen and receipt verification images at several drive-up ATM locations. Drive-up ATM locations added in Liberty and Girard.
- 2011 - 7 17 created the Simplify & Save program to help Members save money, simplify their financial lives, and plan for a long, healthy financial future. Mobile Banking was introduced.
- 2012 - 7 17 was the first financial institution in the area to offer personalized debit cards allowing Members to use their own photos. 7 17’s Mobile App and the Basic Checking account were introduced.
- 2013 - The STAR Member Rewards™ program was replaced with the Simply Rewarding Member Rewards Program.
- 2014 - 7 17 added two Warren-area ATM machines with SMART Deposit technology, one on Elm Road and one on Parkman Road. 7 17 introduced a new Mobile Banking App with enhanced functionality and Mobile Deposit.
- 2015 - Kent Credit Union merged with 7 17 Credit Union on November 1, 2015, resulting in the addition of a new branch in Ravenna and over 7,000 new Members. The merger also expanded 7 17's field of Membership into Ohio's Summit County.
- 2016 - Electronic signature was made available, allowing Members to sign loan documents via a desktop PC, tablet, or mobile phone. Three digital wallets were made available: Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Android Pay. 7 17 added four new $1,500 Credit Union Spirit Scholarships, bringing the total offered each year by the Credit Union to 12 scholarships.
- 2017 - 7 17 partnered with KOFE (Knowledge of Financial Education) to provide Members free financial education tools and resources. Credit Union One merged into 7 17 on October 1, 2017, resulting in the addition of a new branch in North Jackson and more than 2,400 new Members.